While babies don’t have many places to go, they can go through more outfit changes than a fashionista! Baby clothes are so sweet they can be hard to resist, so newborn outfits are a common gift for new parents from family and friends. However, it doesn’t always make sense to have a vast wardrobe of infant clothes for your newborn, even if your budget allows it.
What to Consider Before Building Your Baby’s Wardrobe
How many clothes does a newborn need? If you’re asking yourself this question, consider the following:
- Babies grow fast: Babies grow out of their onesies and cute outfits in weeks, so these clothes won’t stay in rotation for long no matter how adorable they are. It doesn’t make sense to have a huge wardrobe if your baby will outgrow clothes in a month or less.
- Babies have different body types, just like adults: Some babies are easier to get into onesies while others fit well into rompers. You should wait until you’re familiar with your baby’s unique needs before stocking up on a particular style.
- Your climate matters: If you live in a colder climate, you may need more beanies and even a baby blanket (or a few) for extra warmth and swaddling. If you live in a warm environment, you might need some sunhats, breeze rompers and even breezy sundresses to help your child breathe and stay cool.
- Babies need practical clothes: Babies are busy growing and developing. Their clothes should be easy to put on and remove to make changing time pleasant. Your baby’s clothes should also be easy to wash so you can keep an infant clean.
- Consider your willingness to do laundry: If you’re willing to do laundry often, you can have a smaller wardrobe. You’ll need to buy about twenty-eight items if you want to do laundry no more than once a week.
A Look Into a Newborn’s Closet
Babies can get messy. Most newborns will go through up to three outfit changes a day. Your little one will need a sleep outfit at night, too, which you may need to swap out in case of any messes. You’ll want to have enough clothes that you can always easily reach for a new outfit during changing time without needing to do laundry all day.
A solid newborn clothes checklist includes:
- About five to seven pairs of socks for summer days and cold winters.
- Two or three hats to keep baby warm.
- Four to five sleepers or footies for nighttime.
- Three to five pairs of pants for extra layering during the cold.
- Seven to eight rompers or bodysuits for everyday wear.
Buy Fun Baby Clothes Today
Sweet Girls Boutique has a wide range of adorable baby clothes, including rompers, onesies and more, so you can stock up on quality items in different sizes. Our family-owned business understands what families need and we offer simple online shopping, adorable clothes, great prices, excellent quality and shipping right to you. Browse our clothes or reach out if you have any questions today!